28 Mai 2015

Saudi Streets

How do you imagine Saudi Arabia to be like? No clear picture came to my mind, when I asked myself that question and thought about it....except for veiled women and men in long dresses. Worse enough! Thus, I was glad to come across this street photography from Zuhair Ahmad at Panorama who took his camera to 20 different cities in Saudi Arabia, to show that an everyday life exists, many people wouldn't think off: "People think everyone here is rich and have what they need," he says, referring to a vision of Saudis perpetuated by a wealthy minority who "spend their time in Europe in expensive hotels with expensive cars. Each city I visit, I discover new things. This is a big country and much of it is unknown and hasn’t been photographed. It’s changed my perspective."
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
"A lot of photographers from the gulf countries aren’t interested in this kind of photography. They are more into studio portraits, landscape, still life or fashion.” Street photography is only beginning to gain popularity in Saudi Arabia, and Ahmad says his work is partly “a call to my fellow photographers to photograph the real streets.”

Yes please, more of it!
 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen